The holidays are traditionally a time for friends, family and coworkers to gather for seasonal parties and celebrations. More often than not, this means consuming alcoholic beverages. Whether you are hosting or attending a holiday celebration or gathering, here are some tips that can keep you and your guests safe:
- In your invitation, remind invitees to plan ahead. Guests should arrive with either a designated driver, stay with plenty of time to sober up, or plan to utilize a commercial ride such as a cab or Uber.
- Food helps to absorb alcohol. Make sure to serve plenty of food.
- Pay attention. Watch and know when your guests are drunk. Don’t let it get out of hand. Don’t let a guest leave without a designated driver or commercial driver.
- Take their keys. Have everyone give their keys to the host as soon as they arrive to the party. Only those attendees who have had little to no alcoholic beverages by the time they are ready to leave are allowed to have their keys back.
- Last Call. To give everyone plenty of time to sober up, set a designated time after which alcohol will no longer be served at your gathering.
- Hire a “host”. If you plan to partake in alcohol consumption, it may be best to designate another non-drinking host or hire a bartender to keep watch and assume part of the responsibilty to make sure everyone gets home safely.
- Offer non-sober guests who don’t have a safe ride home the opportunity to sleep over.
However, mistakes do happen. If you or someone you know finds themselves charged with a DUI, Jarvis, McArthur & Williams has many years of experience handling thousands of DUI defense cases. Contact Us today or After Hours to discuss your case.
DUI Defense Attorneys in Burlington, VT
The DUI Defense Attorneys at Jarvis, McArthur & Williams have many years of experience handling thousands of DUI defense cases around Vermont. Through our skill and experience, we will guide you through the criminal court and civil suspension DUI process seamlessly while aggressively advocating on your behalf. The consequences of a DUI conviction can be devastating-suspension of your license, hefty fines, and potential jail time to name a few. After a DUI arrest, it is important to contact an attorney immediately.
Contact our office today at (802) 658-9411 to schedule a free consultation.